What are the subjects required in WAEC and NECO to study Economics? if you are interested in NECO and WAEC (O level) subjects required for Economics then am happy to inform you that this post contains all the WAEC as well as NECO subject requirements to study Economics under the faculty of Social and Management Sciences in the university.
This is to inform all aspirants who wish to apply for admission in Nigeria into any of federal, state or private owned universities to study Economics under the faculty of Social and Management Sciences that the NECO and WAEC requirements which includes the compulsory subjects needed for Economics has been published here in this post.
If you are interested in JAMB subject combination for Economics also, you can start by checking out JAMB subject combination for Economics here or use the general approach by checking JAMB subject combination for all courses here.
Other Useful Resources
You can also check out other JAMB and WAEC resources below:
FREE UPDATES: Do you want us to UPDATE you on Whastapp concerning this topic you are reading now? Click Here To Message Us on Whatsapp.
- WAEC Syllabus for All Subjects
- JAMB Syllabus For All Subjects
- JAMB Recommended Textbooks For All Subjects
- WAEC Result Released Date
- How To Check Your WAEC Result
- JAMB Form | JAMB Registration Form Procedures
- JAMB News | Latest News From JAMB Today
WAEC And NECO Subject Requirements for Economics
The subjects required to study Economics in both WAEC and NECO are as follows:
Five SSCE credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Economics and any two of Arts or Social Science subjects.
Special Requirements (Waiver) Remarks
(i) UNICAL does not accept Commerce.
(ii) OAU requires Five ‘0’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Economics, Geography/ Government and any Arts or Social Science subject.
(iii) UNIMAID accepts a pass in Mathematics, but such candidates will be required to pass a remedial course in Mathematics
(iv) UNILAG accepts Arts, Social Science and Science subjects in addition to Mathematics and Economics. Commerce is not accepted as O/L subject.
(v) UI requires 5 credit passes to include Mathematics, Economics and any two Arts or Social Science subjects.
(vi) BAYERO accept two only Social Science subjects.
(vii) AAUA requires English Language, Mathematics, Economics and one Social Science subject plus any other subject
(viii) EKSU requires five ‘O’ Level credit passes to include English language, Mathematics, Economics and any two other subjects, one of which must be a Social Science subject.
(ix) KSU requires any two relevant subjects as the fourth and fifth subjects.
(x) COVENANT requires five ‘O’ Level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics, Economics , one science subject from the following (Biology, Health/ General Science, Agricultural Science, Physics and Chemistry) and either of Geography, Government, Accounting, Book Keeping and Commerce.
(xi) COVENANT for Marketing requires English Language, Mathematics, Economics one of Government or History and any Science subject from Biology, Health/General Science, Agricultural Science, Physics and Chemistry
(xii) UNIOSUN requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes in English, Mathematics, Economics and any two of Social Science subjects at one sitting.
(xiii) AUN requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes including English Language, Mathematics, and any other three subjects from the following; Environmental Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Literature in English, Government, History, Economics, Geography, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Visual Arts, Computer Studies, Information Technology, Civics, and French.
(xiv) KASU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Economics and any two of Arts or Social Science subjects and at least one Science subject.
(xvi) BELLS accepts two A’ Level passes in any two of Chemistry, Economics, Geography and Mathematics
(xvi) GO accepts
(a) for Accounting BSc, BA or HND in other discipline, ND (Upper Credit) in Accounting, Foundation of ICAN.
(b) For Business Administration two ‘A’ level passes in Economics and any one of Mathematics, Statistics, Geography, Physics, Chemistry, Agric Science, Accounting, Business Management, History and Government. BSc, BA or HND in other discipline, ND (Upper Credit) in Business Administration.
(xvii) NTNU accepts any two A’ level passes in Arts or Social Sciences subjects, ND/HND (lower credit) or NCE (merit) in relevant fields
(xviii) PAUL requires five SSCE credit passes in not more than two sittings including English Language, Mathematics and Economics.
(xix) REDEEMER’S requires Five ‘O’ Level credit passes to include English Language Mathematics, Economics and any other two subjects in Arts or Social Sciences.
(xx) WESTERN-DEL requires five SSCE passes including English Language, Mathematics, Economics and one other Social Science subject.
(xxi) NDU requires the five ‘O’ level credit passes in not more than two sittings.
(xxii) LAPAI requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes in English, Mathematics, Economics and any two of Social Science subjects.
(xxiii) DELSU requires one of the other subjects from Commerce, Principles of Book Keeping and Accounts, Geography, Government and Secretarial Studies.
(xxiv) UNN requires Five ‘O’ level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Economics and two other relevant subjects at WASC or GCE ‘O’ level.
(xxv) UNIILORIN requires one of the two other subjects from Accounting, Commerce, Business Methods, Geography, Statistics and Government.
(xxvi) FUNAAB requires two other relevant subjects from any of Government, Geography, Commerce, Physics, History or Statistics.
(xxvii) NDA requires the two other subjects from Accounting, Commerce, Geography, History, French, Arabic and Government.
(xxviii) UMYUK requires Five credit passes at SSCE (or its equivalent) in English Language, Mathematics, Economics and any two from Commerce, Government Geography, Accounting and Book Keeping in not more than two sittings.
(xxix) FED-LAFIA requires credit passes in Government and any of one of Commerce, History, CRK or IRS as the two other subjects.
The O level (WAEC and NECO) requirements posted above may only apply to Economics under the faculty of Social and Management Sciences. If the Economics you intend in studying is in another faculty, the subject requirements may be different from the one on this page. You can check JAMB brochure for all faculties here.
List of Schools That Offer Economics
This section contains the list of universities that offer Economics in Nigeria. These are basically schools that accepts the WAEC and NECO requirements for Economics posted above.
The following are the list of schools that offer Economics:
- Achievers University, Owo
- Adamawa State University, Mubi
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba
- Adeleke University
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Ajayi Crowther University
- Akwa Ibom State University
- Al-Hikmah University
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina, Katsina, Katsina
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- American University of Nigeria
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University
- Augustine University
- Babcock University
- Bayero University, Kano
- Baze University
- Bells University of Technology of Technology
- Benson Idahosa University
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Bingham University
- Bowen University
- Caleb University
- Caritas University
- Chrisland University
- Christopher University
- Covenant University, Ota
- Crawford University
- Delta State University, Abraka
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Edwin Clark University
- Ekiti State University, Ado-Ekiti
- Elizade University
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology
- Federal University, Gusau
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma
- Federal University, Lafia
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Godfrey Okoye University
- Gombe State University
- Gregory University, Uturu, Uturu
- Hallmark University
- Hezekiah University
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University
- Kaduna State University
- Kings University
- Kogi State University, Anyigba
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- Lagos State University
- Landmark University
- Lead City University
- Madonna University
- McPherson University
- Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike
- Micheal and Cecilia Ibru University
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi
- Niger Delta University, Wilberforce
- Nigeria Turkish Nile University
- Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna
- Nigerian Police Academy, Wudil, Kano State, Wudil, Kano State, Kano State
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka
- Northwest University, Kano, Kano
- Novena University
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- Obong University
- Oduduwa University
- Olabisi Onabanjo University
- Osun State University
- Paul University
- Redeemers University
- Renaissance University
- Rhema University
- Ritman University
- Salem University
- Samuel Adegboyega University
- Sokoto State University
- SouthWestern University
- Summit University, Offa offa
- Tai Solarin University of Education
- Tansian University
- Taraba State University
- Umaru Musa Yaradua University, Katsina
- University of Abuja
- Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta
- University of Calabar
- University of Ibadan
- University of Ilorin, Ilorin
- University of Jos
- University of Maiduguri
- University of Mkar
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- University of Port Harcourt
- University of Uyo
- Usman Danfodiyo University, Sokoto, Sokoto
- Veritas University, Abuja
- Wellspring University
- Wesley University of Science and Technology
- Western Delta University
- Yobe State University