Are you looking for WAEC Syllabus for Book Keeping for 2021/2022? If you are interested in WAEC syllabus for Book Keeping, then am pleased to let you know that the West African Examination Council (WAEC) has released the syllabus specially made for Book Keeping.
About WAEC Syllabus
WAEC Syllabus is a subject outline that contains topics that a candidate intending to seat for an examination for that particular subject is required to cover prior to the exam in order to stand a chance of performing excellently in the exam.
Speaking of WAEC Syllabus for Book Keeping, It therefore means that it’s an outline that contains all the topics for Book Keeping that each candidate who enrol for Book Keeping is expected to cover prior to the examination date. If you intend to sit for JAMB, checkout JAMB Syllabus for all Subjects here.
Other Resources That May Interest You
- How To Check WAEC Result
- WAEC Examination Time Table
- WAEC Registration
- JAMB Recommended Textbooks For All Subjects
WAEC Syllabus For Book Keeping
Without wasting much time, the syllabus for Book Keeping are as follows:
Aims And Objectives / Preamble
The Book Keeping syllabus is designed to assess the candidates’ basic knowledge of business activities and understanding of financial system for the purpose of establishing a business and laying a good foundation for further studies.
AIM AND OBJECTIVES
The aim of this paper is to test candidates’:
- knowledge of basic skills required to start a business;
- ability to appreciate the rules and functions of book keeping;
- ability to apply the basic knowledge and skills in Book Keeping to modern business activities.
SCHEME OF THE EXAMINATION
There will be two papers, Papers 1 and 2, both of which will be a composite paper to be taken at one sitting.
PAPER 1: Will consist of forty multiple choice questions all of which must be answered in 50 minutes for 40 marks.
PAPER 2: Will consist of two sections, Sections A and B as follows:
Section A: Will cover Theory of Book-Keeping and contain four questions. Candidates will be required to answer two for 20 marks.
Section B: Will cover Practice of Book-Keeping and contain five questions. Candidates will be required to answer three for 60 marks. The paper will last 2 hours.
Introduction to Book Keeping
Meaning of Book Keeping
definition, history, nature, importance and functions of Book Keeping; career opportunities and beneficiaries of book keeping; qualities and values of book keepers.
Assets and Liabilities:
– definition, differences, classification and examples of Assets and Liabilities.
– meaning and types of business transactions;
– parties involved in business transactions.
Classification of Accounts:
– personal accounts (debtors and creditors);
– Impersonal accounts (real and nominal).
– definition, identification, types and uses of source documents.
Concepts and Conventions
Definition, identification and the differences between concepts and conventions.
Books of Original Entry
Definition, purpose, types, format, uses and preparation of Books of Original entry
Ledger and Principles of Double Entry
– definition, classification, format, uses and preparation of ledgers.
Principles of Double Entry:
– meaning, history, rules and making double entries.
Meaning, purpose, description, differences and preparation of:
– single column;
– double column;
– three column;
– petty cash book.
Bank Reconciliation Statement
– meaning and purpose
– terminologies and banking documents
– causes of differences between cash book and bank statement balance
Trial Balance and Errors
– meaning and functions of trial balance;
– rules and preparation of trial balance;
– meaning, types, classification of errors;
– correction of errors and preparation of Suspense Account.
Financial Statements of Sole Proprietorship
– definition, purpose, format and preparation of simple Trading Account;
– methods of valuing stock (FIFO and LIFO).
Profit and Loss Account:
– definition, purpose, format and preparation of Profit and Loss Account;
– meaning, content, format and preparation of a simple balance sheet.
Adjustments to Financial Statements
-Adjustment for prepayments, accruals, depreciation, bad and doubtful debts;
-Meaning and methods of depreciation (straight line and reducing balance).
Meaning and preparation of Sales Ledger and Purchases Ledger Control Accounts.
Single Entry and Incomplete Records
Meaning, limitations and preparation of final accounts from incomplete records
Accounts of Not-For-Profit Making organizations
Purpose, content and preparation of Receipts and Payments Accounts, Income and Expenditure Account.
– meaning, purpose and terminologies;
– preparation of Manufacturing, Trading, Profit and Loss Accounts.
– meaning and terms:
– partnership deed, drawings, interest on capital, interest on drawings;
– preparation of Capital and Current Accounts, Profit and Loss and Appropriation Account and Balance Sheet;
– admission of new partners and Goodwill Account.
Joint Venture Accounts
– meaning and purpose;
– differences between joint venture and partnership.
Departmental and Branch Accounts
– importance and differences;
– preparation of Departmental and simple Branch Accounts.
Introduction to Company Accounts
– formation and terminologies;
– preparation of simple financial statements.
Interpretation of Accounts
– Purpose and computation of ratios:
– net profit margin;
– stock turnover;
– quick ratio;
– acid test ratio;
– gross profit margin;
– return on capital employed.
Purchase of Business
Reasons, terminologies and preparation of accounts related to purchase and sale of business.
Terminologies and preparation of simple Consignment Accounts.
Meaning and preparation of accounts in the seller’s and hirer’s books.
– meaning, purpose and terminologies;
– preparation of Contract Accounts.
Meaning and objectives of cooperative societies.
NOTE: Emphasis should be on application
- Business Accounting Vol.1 and 2 F. Wood
- Book-keeping and Accounts (ELBS) Spicer & Peggler
- Inroduction to Accouting for Business Studies F.P. Langley
- Accounting I ad II Jennings
- Essential Financial Accounting for Senior Secondary School O.A Longe and R.A. Kezeem
WAEC Syllabus For Book Keeping PDF Download
We know you will likely be interested in downloading the PDF of the WAEC Syllabus for Book Keeping, so we have provided you a link to download it to your phone or computer. Click the link below to download it.