Are you looking for WAEC Syllabus for Shorthand for 2021/2022? If you are interested in WAEC syllabus for Shorthand, then am pleased to let you know that the West African Examination Council (WAEC) has released the syllabus specially made for Shorthand.
About WAEC Syllabus
WAEC Syllabus is a subject outline that contains topics that a candidate intending to seat for an examination for that particular subject is required to cover prior to the exam in order to stand a chance of performing excellently in the exam.
Speaking of WAEC Syllabus for Shorthand, It therefore means that it’s an outline that contains all the topics for Shorthand that each candidate who enrol for Shorthand is expected to cover prior to the examination date. If you intend to sit for JAMB, checkout JAMB Syllabus for all Subjects here.
Other Resources That May Interest You
FREE UPDATES: Do you want us to UPDATE you on Whastapp concerning this topic you are reading now? Click Here To Message Us on Whatsapp.
- How To Check WAEC Result
- WAEC Examination Time Table
- WAEC Registration
- JAMB Recommended Textbooks For All Subjects
WAEC Syllabus For Shorthand
Without wasting much time, the syllabus for Shorthand are as follows:
Aims And Objectives / Preamble
SCHEME OF EXAMINATION
Two passages will be dictated at 80 words per minute with an interval of 2 minutes. The syllabic intensity of the passages should be 1.35 – 1.40. Each passage will last for 3 minutes. After the last passage, 5 minutes will be allowed for candidates to read through their shorthand notes before the commencement of transcription. All transcription must be done on the typewriter. The use of English and Shorthand Dictionaries is allowed. The examination shall be of 1 hour 13 minutes duration (6 minutes for dictation, 7 minutes for intervals and 1 hour for transcription).
- Business Matters
One of the passages for dictation shall be business in nature e.g. Letters, Memoranda, Reports, and any other related topics.
- Literary Matters
The other passage shall be literary and within the experience of the candidates. It shall not be technical or controversial.
NOTES ON THE EXAMINATION
- Candidates must provide their own typewriters, shorthand notebooks, and other writing materials.
- The shorthand notes may be written with either pen or pencil. The shorthand notes must be attached to the transcripts.
- Specially marked typing papers will be supplied by the Council. No typing paper other than those supplied by the Council may be used.
- Candidates shall not be allowed to make any carbon copy.
- The shorthand readers shall be allowed access to the passages twenty minutes before the dictation commences.
A preliminary passage of 2 minutes duration will be dictated before the commencement of the actual examination to enable candidates to become accustomed to the reader’s voice. The preliminary passage must not be transcribed and does not form part of the examination.
- The candidate’s shorthand teacher may be appointed to dictate the passages. The invigilator must check the dictation and note errors or deviation from the total time allowed for each passage. A signed certificate of the actual time taken should be returned with the completed scripts.
- As quarter-minute indications printed on each passage. Care should be taken to articulate the words very distinctly. Punctuation must be indicated by the inflexion of the voice and in no case dictated.
- The reader is expected to leave the examination hall immediately after the dictation, taking away with him the shorthand passages. These should be returned to the Council or an official of the Council where one is available. On no account should the passages be left with either the Invigilator or Supervisor.
- First course – Pitman
- First course review – Pitman 2000
- Pitman 2000 Phrase Book
- First Dictionary – Pitman 2000 shorthand
- 700 common words – Pitman 2000
- Office skills magazines
- Speed development – Pitman 2000
- Speed builder – Bryan Coombs
WAEC Syllabus For Shorthand PDF Download
We know you will likely be interested in downloading the PDF of the WAEC Syllabus for Shorthand, so we have provided you a link to download it to your phone or computer. Click the link below to download it.
Sorry, download is not available yet.